Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thoughts Now Cost a Dollar-Fifty



I have let too many things slide by. I was jolted into this realization when an old friend called me out of the blue yesterday.

It's amazing how we let our relationships just fade because we are unwilling to sacrifice.

That's all this is anyway, this life, it's relationships.
Talking about them, living them, trying to have them, maintaining them, longing for them.
As individuals we cannot survive or be happy without them. This is what really matters. Yet, we are narcissists and cannot see beyond our own desires, our own fears.
We are locked inside ourselves and are constantly screaming to get out.

We want someone to know us in a way that we can no longer hide and still we are afraid of judgment, failure, unreciprocated feelings, reciprocated feelings and commitment (and I'm sure a whole laundry list of others).

But it's so much better to love others with reckless abandon. There is no consequence in that. What causes pain and suffering, which is always optional by the way, is the limitations we put on ourselves and our interactions with others, also known as relationships. These are the cages we stay locked in that are of our own making.

I know that I no longer want to ignore those ships I'm already sailing on because it keeps me locked in that cage, climbing the walls. It costs me nothing to truly care deeply about others. Rather, it's money in the bank.

Nature does not give to those who will not spend.
You only get to keep what you give away.

2 comments:

Nick Brismut said...

Inspiring.

My ideal friend = an individual, like meself, who will not burden me with even more responsibilities..

Perhaps I'm just too selfish?

Citygirl said...

No, I don't think that's selfish. It's the right amount of selfish. We are responsible for ourselves but should be willing to open up and give of that self.

It's more rewarding to connect than to be isolated. Even if it's momentary, like being not being so wrapped up in yourself that you fail to acknowledge the doorman of your building. You give that friendly hello and everything changes; for him and for you.
It all counts.