Sunday, June 05, 2005

Blogs Fail to Deliver the Salmon

My expectations weren't high to begin with, but I speculated with all this technology that I'd find an RSS feed to tell me where to find the King Salmon running ... updated by the minute. By the time the Alaska fish and game reports the salmon runs, it's old news and the highways are jammed with RVs.

If you're a tourist, you have no chance. The locals, however, have quite a tight network and they share the salmon information amongst themselves the old fashioned way ... by talking to each other.

While I'm waiting for a local to call me back with the Kenai fish data, I figure I'd pass the time blogging about the lack of finding anything.

Of course, if you could show a local how to monetize the sharing of the salmon runs...the RSS feed would be up in light speed time. It's unlikely, however, that those few Google ads could substitute for taking a boatload of tourists on a guided trip.

There's the phone...time to find out the old-fashioned way on where to find those King Salmon.

The Alaska Daily News publishes this fish report which surprisingly has no dates, timestamps or even an archive. I guess they don't bother checking their stats logs to see how popular that page might be with a little effort.

If you'd like to see some really non-useful data, try the Fish Count Data.

I can't boil the ocean trying to solve this problem. There must be some VC's who can fuel a really useful service of realtime salmon runs aggregated with an RSS feed. And although I know they all like their deals on a silver platter, I've got fish to catch.

The business of how they'd actually make any money with this idea must be left to their creative collective. I'm doing my part by starting the web converstation. As soon as Technorati finds this, the rest of the magic will just happen with all that connected conversation magic, right?

Wake me when it's time to sign the term sheet.

No comments: